Home : Development of curriculum guidelines for safe operation of motor vehicles.
State of NJ : Development of curriculum guidelines for safe operation of motor vehicles.
- 8. a. The Director of the Office of Highway Traffic Safety in the Department of Law and Public Safety, after consultation with the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission in, but not of, the Department of Transportation, shall develop curriculum guidelines for use by teachers of approved classroom driver education courses. The course of instruction for approved courses shall be no less than 30 hours in length and be designed to develop and instill the knowledge and attitudes necessary for the safe operation and driving of motor vehicles. Defensive driving, highway courtesy, accident avoidance, understanding and respect for the State's motor vehicle laws, insurance fraud and State requirements for and benefits of maintaining automobile insurance shall be emphasized. The incorporation of these curriculum guidelines in these classroom courses and the use of related instructional materials shall be a requirement for approval of the course by the chief administrator.
b. The Director of the Office of Highway Traffic Safety, in consultation with the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, shall produce an informational brochure for parents and guardians of beginning drivers under the age of 18 years. The commission shall ensure that the parents or guardians of a permit holder receive these brochures at the time a permit is issued to a beginning driver. The brochures shall include, but not be limited to, the following information:
(1) Setting an example for the beginning driver;
(2) Accident and fatality statistics about beginning drivers;
(3) Causes of accidents among beginning drivers;
(4) The need to supervise vehicle operation by a beginning driver;
(5) Methods to coach a beginning driver on how to reduce accidents;
(6) A description of the graduated driver's license program; and
(7) Benefits of classroom and behind-the-wheel driver education under the direction of State certified or licensed driving instructors, as the case may be.
L.1998, c.108, s.8; amended 2001, c.420, s.1; 2010, c.87, s.20.